Tailings Department – Graduate Civil / Geotechnical Engineer
We are currently looking for a self-motivated civil / geotechnical engineering graduate to join our tailings department and contribute to new and existing projects. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team in a junior level position, based in our head office (Rivonia) on a full-time basis.
Jones & Wagener is seeking to employ a graduate engineer in the tailings department, based in our Rivonia office. The engineer would assist senior engineers and project managers with surveillance of existing and design of new tailings storage facilities and return water dams.
The requirements associated with the position are as follows (mandatory):
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- B Eng or BSc Eng in Civil Engineering
- Good fundamental understanding and knowledge of soil mechanics
- Post graduate experience in geotechnical engineering will be advantageous
- Experience in CPTu testing and interpretation preferred
- Experience in geotechnical investigations considered advantageous
- Candidate should be proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and MS PowerPoint
- Candidate should have exposure to slope stability, seepage analysis and FEM software, such as Geostudio.
- Candidate should be proficient in AutoCad Civil 3D or ModelMaker
Preference to candidates with the following skills and attributes:
- Good critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills, fluent in English
- Dynamic, self-motivated, takes responsibility and ownership of tasks
- Able to manage time effectively
- Attention to detail
The main duties associated with the position include the following:
- Surveillance of tailings storage facilities and return water dams
- Carrying out annual audit inspections on tailings storage facilities and return water dams
- Design of new tailings storage facilities, return water dams or associated infrastructure
- Stability analysis of various facilities
- Keep up with latest developments in the tailings industry and improve knowledge base
Market related salary including company benefits, dependent on individuals experience and qualifications.