Mining infrastructure department – Graduate Civil / Geotechnical Engineer
- Assisting senior engineers with the civil design aspects of mine infrastructure projects
- 1 to 3 years’ experience
- Gauteng (Rivonia or Centurion)
Jones & Wagener is seeking to employ a graduate civil engineer in its Mining Infrastructure Department, based in our Rivonia or Centurion office. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the senior engineers with the civil design aspects of mine infrastructure projects. This includes calculations, analysis, modelling, site visits and inspections, of storm water management infrastructure (dams, canals), bulk earthworks (terraces, platforms), roads (gravel, mine haul roads, dragline walkways), mine waste disposal facilities, tailings facilities and more. Infrastructure project documentation, including compiling of design reports, project study inputs, bill of quantities, project specifications and others will form part of the duties.
The requirements associated with the position are as follows (mandatory):
- Degree in Civil Engineering (BEng or B.Sc.)
- Experience in civil engineering related work will be of advantage.
- Good fundamental understanding and knowledge of soil mechanics.
- Be based in- or be willing to relocate to Gauteng (Centurion).
- Candidate must be proficient in MSOffice (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Candidate should be proficient in AutoCad Civil 3D.
Preference to candidates with the following skills and attributes:
- Good critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills, fluent in English.
- Dynamic, self-motivated, takes responsibility and ownership of tasks.
- Able to manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail.
The main duties associated with the position include the following:
- Design of mine infrastructure from concept layouts to detail design.
- Design of bulk earthworks, terraces, roads, etc.
- Hydrological run-off calculation and water balance modelling.
- Water management infrastructure design including dams and canals.
- Mine waste disposal facilities and tailings facilities with all its supporting infrastructure.
- Analysis and designs utilising various computer software and modelling packages.
- Compilation of repots, such as design reports and other technical documentation.
- Compilation of tender documents, including scope of work, specifications, Bills of quantities, etc.
- Data analysis, processing and interpretation.
- Site visits and investigation, including geotechnical investigations.
Market related salary including company benefits, dependent on individuals experience and qualifications.
Closing date: [optional]